Philipp Janda <siffiejoe@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 27.07.2016 um 19:16 schröbte Nagaev Boris:
> > Why does it print "nil, nil" and not "nil, nil, nil"?
>
> As Daurnimator already indicated, no return value is a special case of
> multiple return values: In certain situations multiple (or no) values are
> coerced into one value, in other situations, like at the end of an
> expression list, they are taken as is. All `print()` calls return no
> value, but only the last call is the last expression of an expression
> list, so the other two calls are coerced to one `nil` value each.

I apologize if I’m being dense, but I still don’t follow. I’m going to try
to say what I understand. If anyone can correct or expand, I appreciate it.

1. print() calls return no value
2. In a list of expressions, multiple or no value returns are taken “as
   is”. (I don’t really see what “taken as is” means, to be frank.)
3. print(1), print(2), print(3) is an expression list.
4. So, (per (2)), the first two (only?) print() calls are taken “as is”.
   The two `nil`s come from that. I.e., they are coerced to display their
   not having a return value by displaying `nil`?

If all that is right, my remaining question: why isn’t the last call in
an expression list also taken “as is”. I.e., once again, why not `nil, nil,
nil`?

Thanks, Peter