> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Thiago Bastos <tbastos@tbastos.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hisham, thanks for showing up :-)
>>
>> So, "decentralized" package managers are a relatively new thing, made
>> possible by the popularization of DVCS and sites such as GitHub and
>> BitBucket. The advantages are pretty much analogous to the advantages of
>> "distributed" over "centralized" version control systems.
>>
>> Basically you don't have a centralized index of packages. Packages are
>> always distributed and consumed as source code. The package identifier is
>> always a URL, instead of a package name. Usually the package will be hosted
>> on a site such as GitHub and the package manager will fetch a specific
>> version (tag, release, or master) and build/install the package based on a
>> manifest file similar to a rockspec, but with a fixed name such as
>> "package.lua".
>>
>> It's a step beyond allowing "local rock servers" in terms of freedom and
>> flexibility, and it would probably simplify LuaRocks by a fair margin. No
>> more servers, no more binary distributions, etc. All efforts can be focused
>> on the build system, versioning and dependency management.

Thanks for the explanation and pointers!

I can definitely see how this simplifies things and I'm happy to see
package management go in this direction. I do however see value in
the centralized luarocks.org as a community focal point (especially
in a small and emerging community such as ours).

The fact that  the _management_ of rocks has become decentralized
within luarocks.org (as opposed to the curated repo of the early
days) has been a big boost to the project. We should definitely
try to make things quicker and more flexible, but I don't see us
dropping support for centralized model any time soon.

>> For example, see [1] for an example of how to specify dependencies in a
>> distributed package manager.
>>
>> Currently the most prominent distributed package manager is Apple's new
>> Swift package manager. It's being developed by Max Howell, the original
>> author of Homebrew (the most successful package manager for OSX). See [2]
>> and [3].

Oh, so _that's_ the guy I should have asked about their stated
GoboLinux influence. :)

-- Hisham