Good question!

I think the three major points for comparison are the following:

1) Luvit is a runtime for (mostly) server-side applications, while Lift focus on being a framework for client-side tools, mostly development tools (I'm using it to write a dev tool for C++). In this respect, Lift is more similar to Gulp/Grunt/Jake/NPM than to Node.

2) Luvit adopts Node's Continuation Passing Style (callbacks), which is conducive to "callback hell" and in my opinion more difficult to reason about. Lift implements a Direct Style in which concurrency is achieved with coroutines and without callbacks (which in my opinion leads to much simpler code).

3) While Lift fits into the standard LuaRocks ecosystem, Luvit decided to create its own ecosystem, with its own package manager and tools.

I'd say the only thing Luvit and Lift really have in common is that both projects use the "luv" library (the libuv bindings created for luvit, to which I'm also a contributor).

Cheers!

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM Nagaev Boris <bnagaev@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Thiago Bastos <tbastos@tbastos.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'd like to announce the first (v0.1) release of Lift, a general-purpose
> task automation tool for Lua with support for multitasking, streams and
> asynchronous I/O powered by libuv. It's available on luarocks and works on
> Linux, OSX and Windows.
>
> Lift was inspired by projects such as Rake, Gulp and npm, but follows a
> unique Lua-ish design. Check out the full list of features at:
>
> https://github.com/tbastos/lift
>
> I'm currently looking for early adopters or even contributors to help guide
> the development. Would you rather use Lua to automate your development
> workflow? Do you think Lua is currently missing a more powerful build
> tool/task runner/other development tool? Please check out the project and
> give your feedback, say which features are important and so forth.
>
> Cheers!

Hi!

Thank you for Lift!

What is the relationship between Lift and Luvit [1]. Can you compare
them, please?

[1] https://luvit.io/

--

Best regards,