> On 2016-02-05, at 12:28 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It was thus said that the Great Stephan Hennig once stated:
>>> Yes, you can look-up metamethods in secondary documentation.
>>> But since that is neither guaranteed to be up-to-date nor to be
>>> correct, I'd appreciate primary documentation covering the use-case of
>>> quickly looking-up metamethods, i.e., to include a list of all metamethods.
>>
>>  Here: http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2015-04/msg00033.html at the bottom
>> of the message is a table of all Lua metamethods and the versions they're
>> defined for.
>
> The implacable OP would doubtless dismiss that as "secondary",

I'd describe that as secondary for multiple reasons, starting with: it's not in lua.tar.gz.

Well, ultimately all of this is in lua.tar.gz because you can go read the source code. I don't think that's the point.

Perhaps this should be a purpose of the manual: describe in English everything you can depend on in Lua, so you don't have to read source code outside lua.h, lualib.h, and luaconf.h.

Jay