On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch> wrote:

>>> I actually did this.  Several times even, especially for luapgsql (github.com/mbalmer/luapgsql), but no success so far.
>>
>> I have tried to install it:
>>
>> $ luarocks install --local luapgsql
>> Missing dependencies for luapgsql:
>> lua >= 5.1, == lua, < 5.3
>> Error: Could not satisfy dependency: lua >= 5.1, == lua, < 5.3
>>

>> The problem is in the lua version field. It is set to "lua >= 5.1, lua
>> < 5.3". Replace it with "lua >= 5.1, < 5.3".
>
> That is the technical reason and it's easy enough to fix.  The real issue here, however, is, that we (aka my company) are not rock users and we work on commercial software (we have to feed some mouths and pay some rents, too), so we have only limited resources to invest in stuff we don't even use.  Otoh, we think that our code can often be useful to others, so we publish it under an open source license.  And yes, we think our code is of general good quality and is used for production in many installations, many of them mission critical.
>
> I totally agree with Etiene D'Alcol when she said in a previous mail that a directory of freely available Lua software/modules is needed, and yes, that directory can well be LuaRocks (although the wiki lists a fair amount of modules as well).
>
> What we'd really love to see is someone who want's to see (or use) the software we publish under an open source license in LuaRocks, someone who likes to package stuff and make it available, like the good folks packaging third party software for Debian, FreeBSD ports, or, pkgsrc.  I used to be such a person myself in OpenBSD some years ago, so I know the drill.  I just don't have the time to do it, neither my colleagues.  We could  "play" the role of "upstream", always having an open ear for such a rockspec person.

I see. Probably Lua community needs a group of maintainers of such
rocks. Most of us are likely to feed some mouths and pay some rents,
so it is not easy to find such a group.

Maybe there is already such a group, but they are uncoordinated.

I propose the following solution. Broken / unmaintained rocks and Lua
packages without a rock are reported to
https://github.com/keplerproject/luarocks/issues Those volunteers who
has time, convert them into rocks and upload to the LuaRocks server.

--

Best regards,
Boris Nagaev