On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 3:45 AM, Nagaev Boris <bnagaev@gmail.com> wrote:
> For a fork, you'll have to copy the entire Lua :)

Actually, that would be easier, because I'm familiar with Git. There
is a repository on GitHub that maintains an unofficial history of Lua
releases going back to 5.0. I could just fork that, make my changes,
and merge new releases from upstream as they occur. :) (In fact, the
commit I linked in the OP demonstrating the code for this feature is
in a repo forked from that unofficial Lua repo.)

> In case of a rock, you can maintain a patch and a script. A script
> extracts pattern-matching code from Lua and applies a patch.

Creating and applying patches is something I have no clue how to do on
Windows. I do have an Ubuntu machine on which I could figure it out,
but it mostly just acts as a server for bot scripts to run on. My
Windows 10 computer with Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition is what
I do my code development on.

How would I go about creating and applying patches in Windows? If I
can figure that out, then I'll work on the rock later this week. The
script to extract the code is something I can figure out on my own.