>> OK. But what are the chances of this being added to stock Lua in the
>> next version?
>
> Based on the number of patches enthusiastically posted to this list,
> and the number that ever get in - I'd say the answer is "very low".

Jonathan's suggestion is merely a change to a library, not
to core Lua. In such a case, there is an alternative route to
respectability: contribute a module to LuaRocks. Let's say that
the module 'jgstring' returns a function that monkey-patches
the string library, saving the original functions in string.orig.

Once that is installed, it is a matter of

   require"jgstring"()