On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 4:19 AM, Viacheslav Usov <via.usov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Comments?

First, in a dynamic language, it is hard for me to imagine that
something like this wouldn't effect the hot paths within Lua.

Second, I wonder if this issue is limited exclusively to userdata,
given that this is where big huge opaque objects that obfuscate their
memory impact from the garbage collector. If so, then maybe that would
change the approach to solving the problem.

Conversely, if it is not, it seems like there would be no way to do
this cleanly, without replacing the garbage collector, or simply
running a bunch of times, which in some use cases would partially
eliminate the purpose.

Finally, a comment: This appears to be something that would/should
effect many people, but that not many people think it effects them
(me). That is, I'm sure it does effect me and this thread has led me
to study RAII, so thanks!

Andrew Starks