Peter Aronoff <telemachus@arpinum.org> writes:

> Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This seems pretty clear to me. I mean, maybe luaconf.h could be made a
>> link to the file in the source code and a link to the previous version's
>> deprecation notes could be included, but it tells you exactly where to look
>> as it is.
>
> My problem was not that it was hard to find. I found what I needed to know
> quickly enough. My point is that I had to look. At the cost of adding a single
> bullet point in 5.3's notes, I wouldn't have had to look at all.
>
> That said, I understand what you're saying: the warning was there in 5.2. It's
> my fault that I missed it.

I would recommend that functions are mentioned in the release notes both
when they are deprecated and when they are removed.  This is simple
thing that could help with misunderstandings going into the future.

"Function foo deprecated in release N-1 is now removed/moved/changed."

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(mwd@cert.org)