On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 07:34:18AM -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> > Strictly speaking, -fPIC is needed for any shared library.  It just
> > happens that there's a happy coincidence that means you can often get
> > away without it on 32 bit x86.
>
> Mac OS X does not need -fPIC, even in 64-bit machines.

My guess here is that this is either that it is enabled by default there
because they do ASLR, or it's some strange fall-out from OS X's bizarre
binary format :)

A shared library needs to be position independent code, that much is
non-negotiable, but some tooling probably handles it for you.  It
should always be safe to add.

B.