> Let's compromise on saying that Terra is a Lua 5.1.4 descendant
> retaining source level compatibility with LuaJIT.

I think there two "Terra"s here: Terra the project and Terra the
language. Terra the project is a project that adds staged computation
to Lua; Terra the language is the language used in the "second" stage
of those staged computations. Terra the language is quite different from
Lua (and from LuaJIT). It is a language designed to be statically
compiled and to generate efficient code.

-- Roberto