> On Apr 9, 2015, at 9:23 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> More precisely, it's a LuaJIT descendant
> Not really. While LuaJIT is a tracing JIT compiler, Terra uses LLVM to statically compile Terra functions into machine code the first time functions are called. I think Terra needs LuaJIT just for its FFI.

The dialect of Lua supported by Terra says _VERSION is Lua 5.1.
The author has not been careful with attribution of authorship, e.g.
lparser.cpp has the same top comments as PUC-Rio 5.1, even to
calling the file lparser.c, with no indication that the file has been
adapted, but the contents is extensively modified: diff output is
over 2000 lines.

Let's compromise on saying that Terra is a Lua 5.1.4 descendant
retaining source level compatibility with LuaJIT.