> This suggests that there's a compatibility option that exposes unpack
> into the global namespace, right? And it sounds like my reportee's Lua
> wasn't built with this option. Does that seem plausible?

Yes.

BTW I see you are using 5.2.1, although 5.2.4 is already out (and also
by default turns on all compatibility switches). There are a few important
differences, e.g. an illegal index to table.insert and table.remove is now
an error, whereas in 5.2.1 it is silently tolerated but has undocumented
side effects.