On 27.10.2014 14:43, Rob Kendrick wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 01:32:17PM +0000, Chris Wood wrote:
>> Rob
>> Thanks for the quick response.
>> I don’t intend to compile Lua on the remote server - are you saying ‘an ANSI C compiler’ because that would fulfil the requirements of Lua accessing the standard C libraries (I’m assuming that there is a weak link when the Lua executable was built).
>> Would an alternative be to build Lua without weak links and therefore resolve it for all web hosts (the version I am uploading comes with Scribunto so I haven’t built it)
>
> I would build the C part of the system (ie, Lua) on the server you're
> using.  This eliminates all problems of differing C libraries and such
> and allows for security updates in the other libraries to be handled by
> your web host.

This is not always possible. What I would do is:

1. ask them if they have lua interpreter installed so your scripts can
use it (or even better - mediawiki instance with lua built-in)
2. ask/guess what OS distro/version their server is using (probably
older than your workstation), and compile lua binaries for this platform
(so eg. install older version of linux distro on your virtual machine,
then comile lua interpreter there.)

Keep in mind that the binary will stop working when they would upgrade
their OS.

Regards,
miko