Coming from an Erlang world then the natural thing to do is to generate an error/exception and crash the process. The erlang process that is. This is safe to do in Erlang as it will not take down the system. In general I would say it is better to signal the error early instead of trying to be too nice and keep going which can lead to strange results which are hard to find the cause of.

Shameless plug: if you are interested in running Lua on top of Erlang there is Luerl https://github.com/rvirding/luerl

Robert

On 13 September 2014 01:43, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Coda Highland once stated:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
> >> FWIW, I also disable swap on my servers in addition to disabling overcommit.
> >   If it's Linux, then disabling swap does *NOT* prevent overcommiting
> > memory.  You might want to read
>
> He didn't say it did. He said he disabled swap *and* disabled overcommit.

  I'm sorry, I missed that.  Thanks.

  -spc