I haven't settled on a standardized way to error and I need to. At work, we've been debating one of two general strategies:

 - make an 'error' method that creates an error object, which can log the error, put in the boiler plate text, add the object's name, etc. Once created, it would throw the error.

    obj:error(400, "You needed to foo the bar before plotzing.")

The other option is somewhat similar, except that it would return `nil, error_msg`

    return obj:error(405, "Eating babies is not permitted with these credentials.")

In the first case, we would use `pcall` in spots where we wanted to protect the lua thread from crashing. However, we'd mostly try to adopt a style "crash early and often in your own thread and make a new thread, in order to try again." This is generally attractive, but I'm worried about sockets and C-libraries with resources... Of course, we use the `__gc` metamethod, so nothing bad will ever happen, during a crash...

In the second case, we'd avoid pcall, except when calling standard library functions that contain elements of application input. Then, we'd always use pcall. When `nil, 'error'` is returned for calls that should never error, we'd use `assert`, just to bring a modicum of sanity.

So, second option uses assert sparingly and tries to handle errors without bringing things down. First option crashes early and often.

In practice, I find that it's hard to tell what is happening, especially in a coroutine, and especially if I use the `nil, error` approach. I generally like my errors to be loud and obvious and haven't had a ton of success with 'quietly moving on.'

Soo..... what do smart people do?

-Andrew