On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Axel Kittenberger <axkibe@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are a few lessons one could learn from it. For example, if you already
> have a custom allocator in place in a security critical software, use
> memset() to zero out any new allocated memory with may have been left
> holding security relevant information.

I was doing this, now I just allocate a new buffer every time like an
idiot.  I use Lua because it allows me to prototype quickly -- if the
facility is there I love avoiding work in C.  Using userdata as
mutable buffers in places of immutable strings is not currently
possible/accessible.  I'm arguing for an interface to this, not their
default.

> Yes, we improve as coders by generalized learning. There are a few options
> in which way to go and develop -- Yes, there is not one "true" way, since
> ages of arguing about coding, but to deny any possible generalizations
> gained from experience like you did is sure one wrong way.

I've been dealing with generalizations for 2-3 days now, in both this
thread and a few others.  There is a point where generalizing is just
preventative and exclusionary, not enlightening.  I find too much of
that on this list, and I'm sure you just jumped in here to offer a
tidbit of wisdom without reading the whole chain.  Honestly, most of
these replies sound like "never use goto!"  Someone good at their job
would recognize the time and place.