On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 4:28 AM, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:

> Yes. It is also a relatively common error to reuse bufs/pool members before
> all references to them have dropped.

This is one of those "I know better than you -- we should avoid the
potential for users to screw themselves." retorts.

Why do you care if I shoot my foot?  It's not yours :p

> Changing Lua 6.0 to include a mutable string type would in turn force those
> libraries to change.

Oh god, not change!  I can't haaaandle the change!  -- no but really I
was entertaining the idea that this could be a transparent change.

>> Strings are a thin abstraction over userdata
>
> No. Strings have value semantics. From a semantic point of view they are not
> allocated or deallocated. Nobody owns them.

I shall take a step back here -- I was incorrect when I said that.

> Any userdata? Or just a specific mutable octet vector type?

I would like the option of peering into and modifying any userdata
from Lua as if it were a string, with the string functions.  This
would break security so I'd want to control this ability through the
debug library.

> Not my problem; go for it!

Well that's a semi-polite way to say go f#ck yourself :p  You're not
wrong though.