> You are free to skip past it when downloading your lua tarball I
> guess(?). I am not sure what to respond to this. Leaving out security
> warnings because they are "too lengthy to read".. really?

My point is that the sort of person that will do what you said the
Fedora maintainer did [1], is perfectly likely not to bother reading the
download page properly. In fact, I can argue that he already
demonstrated that [2].

But if the addition is not phrased as a warning to twits, merely as
useful information for sensible people, I support the idea. Something
like this:

"The current version is [Lua 5.2] and its current release is [Lua 5.2.3].
Patches to reported bugs are on the [Bugs page]."

[1] Re-downloaded the same file! Assumed it would have changed
despite having the same name! Did not notice, or if so, did not find
it significant, that the length was the same!

[2] The "patches" link is at the top of the downloads page for all to see.