> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 05:55:03PM -0700, Milind Gupta wrote:
>> So probably the versions that work do not sent the port number with the
>> host name. I would have to compare the lua files to check.
>>

> I ran into this issue a couple of months ago (not using luasocket,
> though).
>
> The port should never be given for the default port (80 for http, 443 for
> https). This is how all the browsers work. Lots of sites will fail
> otherwise. They'll probably fail if any port is given regardless if it's
> the
> default port, but presumably if they're operating on non-default ports the
> developers would catch the bug because all the browsers would have sent
> the
> port.

Hmm, my bad: https://github.com/diegonehab/luasocket/pull/74

I had the opposite issue, which is that requests did not work
on non-default ports with some Web servers (I encountered this
in Python but a user of the library reported the same bug with
Tomcat).

See https://github.com/diegonehab/luasocket/issues/102 for more.