On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 05:55:03PM -0700, Milind Gupta wrote:
> So probably the versions that work do not sent the port number with the
> host name. I would have to compare the lua files to check.

I ran into this issue a couple of months ago (not using luasocket, though).

The port should never be given for the default port (80 for http, 443 for
https). This is how all the browsers work. Lots of sites will fail
otherwise. They'll probably fail if any port is given regardless if it's the
default port, but presumably if they're operating on non-default ports the
developers would catch the bug because all the browsers would have sent the
port.