>> Tim Hill wrote
>> The core math library's goal isn't and shouldn't be to cover all use cases
>> of math in programming, or to cover the specific use cases of a vocal
>> minority.
>
> +1 :)
>
> (In other words, the main reason for removing those functions were not
> to gain 500 bytes, but to increase conceptual integrity.)
>
> -- Roberto

As a member of that "vocal minority", I can't get rid of the
conviction that the three hyperbolic functions are innocent
lambs sacrificed on some religious altar.  Still, thanks for
naming the reason.

If "conceptual integrity" means that one can't have cosh
without acosh etc, maybe when Lua finally moves over
to C99 we can get them back.