Tim Hill wrote
> I’m not sure I saw any good arguments for removal; the testing one is
> probably the closest but the very nature of these functions makes them
> very easy to test automatically, and presumably these tests were already
> in place. The only official argument I saw was that since C99 has lots of
> new functions, and they were not going to be supported, the hyperbolics
> should also be removed, which didn’t seem very logical to me.

Keeping an API as focused, lean, and simple as possible is incredibly
important if you care about good and long-lasting API design. Lua has
traditionally been very good at this, and changes like this are exactly why.
Lua 5.3's math library has more focus and less redundancy than previous Lua
versions.
The core math library's goal isn't and shouldn't be to cover all use cases
of math in programming, or to cover the specific use cases of a vocal
minority.