Ah, yes, I am aware. The PDF output is terrible, and I have seen the
problem with <samp> tags (it also happens with <dfn> and others). It
is generated automatically and I have no control over the tool that
generates it, but one of the things I want to do is to adapt the book
so that the output is a little better. I might end up using another
tool to generate a PDF version manually, but that would mean not being
able to have a PDF document generated on-demand with the latest
version of the text.