On Jun 18, 2014, at 7:08 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

>>> Though I was hoping for an example of a real world script that is not just code golf to make a larger compiled file.
>>>
>>> ~pmd
>>>

>> I don't think that the example is so far away of the real world.
>> Think of configuration scripts, that essentially only store options.
>
> Two other arbitrary examples:
>
> 1) re.lua, from the LPeg package:
>
> source size:			  6286
> binary size:			128864
> binary size without debug info:   4934
>
> 2) SHA2.lua (as available in the Lua wiki):
>
> source size:			  8827
> binary size:			170111
> binary size without debug info:   6049
>
> (Keep in mind that configuration files probably have quite different
> profiles.)
>
> (I do not know how debug information can consume so much space! Probably
> this is worth some thought...)
>
> -- Roberto

I don't think you should worry too much about the binary size with debugging information, Roberto. Debug builds are just that, builds for debugging not for production.

For example, my `lunia' executable right now is 652,388 bytes for a Debug build. For a Release build it drops to 194,344 bytes, or ~30% of the Debug build size.

In my experience Debug builds have always been bulkier than Release builds, but that is the trade-off for having useful debug information available when developing code! :)

~pmd