The current 'luaconf.h' defaults for LUA_PATH and LUA_CPATH, dictate most of this already (unless you change them too).

The defaults currently are (added linebreaks for readability);
LUA_PATH
  !\\lua\\?.lua;
  !\\lua\\?\\init.lua;
  !\\?.lua;
  !\\?\\init.lua;
  .\\?.lua"

LUA_CPATH
  !\\?.dll;
  !\\loadall.dll;
  .\\?.dll

What struck me was that it seems that `.\\?\\init.lua` is missing from LUA_PATH ? or is there a specific reason?

What I don't like is that the CPATH does not allow for a separate folder for the binary modules (even if it just were /lua/, as there is no problem in mixing .dll and .lua files).