Am 16.05.2014 10:52, schrieb Thijs Schreijer:

There is no global accepted rule where to install lua.
I compiled/installed luajit on ARM-Linux and your directory tree becomes
created in /usr/local/. Thats ok for me. Luadist makefiles does not
recognize the installed juajit and do not cooperate with it. So it does
not matter where you pull your module sources: you need to modify the
makefiles anyway. After playing with Lua for a year on windows & Linux,
i know there is no widely accepted way to name installed files and no
widely accepted rule where to store the installed files.

So if you want to set up your own running lua environment: "Roll your
Own!" Thats state of the art. And as long each developer / each distro
keeps creating own rules it will keep being this way.

Ulrich.

But at least the defaults should work out-of-the-box, no?

Thijs

If i want to be rude, i would say: "there are no defaults i can trust."
Everyone defines his private setup as "default". So we have as many "defaults" as we have Lua versions, modules, distibutions and so on. (not counting my own default ;) ).

And no one thought about, windows need a complete different directory- & file name structure. In case you want to install Lua5.2 and (Lua5.1 || Luajit) parallel on Windows, the Linux directory tree does not fit the windows needs.

But all this is no big issue: Define your own directory structure, adjust PATH & CPATH, cannibalize existing makefiles and "Roll your own" ^^

Ulrich.