> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2. But it's a pity it does not have my favourite feature from
>>    Python/Ruby/Javascript/... I'll propose an addition to Lua.

> I'd make the argument that Lua caters to zealots, actually.  We love
> its minimalism, but people here are usually anti-anything --
> especially when it can be attributed to another language.

Lua exceeds the grand open-source tradition so far that it
provides the actual source code of the compiler itself and
not only permits but encourages users to include all of it
in their own C applications.

The attitude of old-timers on this list is not anti-anything, it
is one of:

- We've heard that before. Often.
- Nobody stops you from modifying your own copy of Lua.
Just don't expect us to cheer.
- Actually, if you bothered reading the documentation,
you'll find it is already there.
- Not a snowball's hope in hell that the Lua team will
actually implement that. But by all means continue
building castles in the air.

Most of the others are much better than me at hiding that
attitude. This is a list with plenty of nice guys on it, very
few trolls.

Anyway, I'm getting annoyed at my own effrontery at thinking
that sticking it out for a meagre three years makes me an
old-timer, so I'm signing off this thread.