On 06/04/2014 19.18, Coda Highland wrote:
On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Enrico Colombini<erix@erix.it>  wrote:
A compromise could be to add mathx to the standard distribution with a
compilation switch in luaconf.h to include it, but that would be a very
slippery road (besides, mathx is C99).

What makes it slippery? The suggestion that perhaps Lua should come
with ONE batteries library bundled in, opening the door to more?

I was thinking that binary distributions would have to double the number of 'standalone Lua' executables for each optional library and users would get even more confused. But, thinking again, the logical thing for a binary distribution to do would be to include all optional 'core' libraries.

On the other hand, including mathx would make the 'standard Lua executable' bigger and I suspect this was not the spirit behind the original idea.

A loadable dll/so, as proposed by others, would probably be a better choice (especially in the 'lean kernel' scenario where even basic libs could be either compiled in or compiled as loadable modules).

(funny how a simple question tends to feed bigger and bigger plans, rather than getting simple answers...)

--
  Enrico