You may have seen it in physics/calculus even as a non-math major to
describe the curve of a catenary. I suspect it would come up in any
intro course on differential equations as well as they are a very
natural solution (cosh and sinh are mutual derivatives of each other).

Software engineering, though, perhaps would eschew them.