On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> There is no logic in having sinh but not asinh. Therefore Lua should
> provide asinh, acosh and atanh. These functions are the staple of
> any first-year calculus student and are called "elementary" in books
> about mathematical functions.

I must confess that I did an entire course of Eletrical Engineering
and have no recollection of ever met them. Maybe it is just my memory...

I recall hearing from one of my math professors that the hyperbolic functions are much more popular in
North American academia and education than in European (and assumingly the rest of the world).
Here in Scandinavia it seems that only "math majors" ever get aquainted with them. Doing a masters program in software engineering,
i haven't had any courses that mention them in any detail.

> To assist the team, here are the functions ready-coded in C89.
> These versions have been in use (by me only, AFAIK, although
> they are on my GitHub site in a package that I have not advertised)
> for more than a year.

If those definitions are good enough, they can easily be implemented
in Lua itself by those that need them.

-- Roberto