> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy
> <roberto <at> inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> > It did not hit a sweet spot. It was born there. (I do not think it would
> > have much momentum if not for that reason.)

hi, regarding go, let me add some flame from a non-professional programmer
perspective (where it hits a sweet spot):

my level of C is only college course level (never really programed in it
after college course), and my goto-tools are:
    python, ruby, lua and R.

Working on tons of research projects, sometimes I'll need to 'aggregate' my
data, or extract data from different data source. For this, I can use anyone
in the list; but it turns out ruby's Find.find is 'coded in C', and runs
faster than in the other 3 by maybe 5 fold at least, with the least memory
footage:
    it scans gigs of data files in several minutes (ruby version).

OK, here's go - honest, I don't know how much work it takes to program it in
C, but in go, all I need is filepath.Walk (only googleing and find some
source code):
    ... and scans through gigs of files in about or less than a minute (go
version).

I think lua version might work better than ruby's, but you know, I have to
dig out lfs, figure out why it didn't work out of box when I installed from
luarocks on windows ... after finally getting it to work ... a full screen
of error message stopped me from further exploring this functionality in lua

... So from an end user's perspective, 'the worse is better' - actually, it
is better.