> I hate to ask, but now I'm curious... why *doesn't* Lua use C99? Is it
> because of Microsoft compilers not supporting it well, or are there other
> reasons?

It is also because of Microsoft compiler, but not just that. It is not
uncommon for embedded devices to have compilers not compatible with
C99. (Some are not compatbile even with C89, but usually the differences
are small.) Even gcc has a few issues with C99, and a few more if you
are using an old version of gcc.

And Lua does use some features from C99 when available.

-- Roberto