On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 07:11:12PM +0000, Rob Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:59:03AM -0700, Coroutines wrote:
> > Hmm.  I'm not ready to associate my name with this identity.  Looking
> > for work and I'm not yet sure which online identity I want to use for
> > that.  I would otherwise love to be on a first-name basis with a
> > clever guy like you :-)
>
> The ghost of usenet past is something we've all had to deal with.  If I
> was interviewing people, dodgy postings that sometimes were wrong would
> be better than no postings at all...

I've hired at least one engineer based on their usenet postings to
comp.lang.c.

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't, IMO. Plus it can
often mean less time spent in a groping and clumsy interview where you ask
the candidate inane questions about lists and trees.

Other good material: bug reports, bug fixes, and substantive contributions
to open source projects. A buddy of mine just got offered a nice position at
Apple, _on the spot_. He didn't nail the interview (few do), but because he
was an active contributor on a large Apache project they were easily able to
overcome any doubts. So rather than the interview being a hurdle, it was
merely a safety check.