> llua is sufficiently lightweight that it could be also used for
> non-trivial Lua C modules, if C99 isn't a problem (and even that's
> fixable).

C99 supplies some important C deficiencies, especially (for me) in not
having curious gaps in its math library (e.g. tan, tanh, atan, but no atanh)
which then cause equally curious gaps in the Lua math library.

C99 has now been around for 15 years and I don't blame anybody for
pulling the plug on C89. (Another piece of software I use has recently
discontinued support for 16-bit DOS!)