The amount of work done won't change, so performance will only impact the interfacing code, which on first sight looks like simplified, so improved (but do check).
Having thousands of work-units makes it easy to load balance on 16 cpus. If you increase the size of the work-units, say 16 threads, 1 on each cpu, than chances are that in certain cases the bigger chunks (either by logic, or just by chance) end up in the same state/thread/cpu causing a performance degrade.

Andrews' question on whether you share data between the states is relevant I think. Lockups and crashes are likely due to synchronization? Those will not go away with lesser Lua states, only with a single state. Can you reorder work in a way that less inter-state data traffic is required? That should reduce you lockups.

My 2cts
Thijs