On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Jayanth Acharya <jayachar88@gmail.com> wrote:
> Had I see this original post few months back, I'd not have known what
> Intellisense is, since I'd never used VisualStudio, however few months back
> I got a taste of it, thanks to Atmel Studio, which I use for some of my
> embedded projects using Atmel microcontrollers. Having been exposed (fair
> bit) to Eclipse, I was a bit wary of what the ~800MB of installation would
> do, but I must say it was a very pleasant surprise. My apprehensions of the
> productivity over-promise and under-delivery were put to rest. Since Atmel
> Studio can be used only for C/C++ programming for Atmel processors, I almost
> started missing it, when moving back to C/C++ and Java dev on Linux servers.
> It could be a case of puppy love, but there was the admission, and I thought
> I was married to vim.
>
> Back to the suggestion (by Steve), of using ZBS. I've been using it quite a
> bit, and even tried the Koneki Eclipse LDT. They've managed to make the
> Eclipse LDT useful, interesting, and I look forward to what they might do
> with it in future but in the meantime, I've been most impressed with ZBS,
> especially because of Paul's dedication to it. It does have an impressive
> feature list, that is growing by the day and I believe Paul plans to improve
> code-navigation even further, based on my feature request discussions (on
> the list).
>

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM, Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@trms.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I know that there are some tools, but this looks more deeper.
>>
>> It can be done, but it's hard. Fortunately, an 80% solution to an
>> otherwise generally-impossible problem is acceptable in an IDE.
>>
>> I think Paul K's ZeroBrane Studio is the closest we have - and it's
>> pure Lua dogfood. Another pure Lua solution that's coming along very
>> nicely (if you prefer a more minimal interface) is Mitchell's
>> Textadept (which also has a Curses version).
>>
>> Personally I find Eclipse-based solutions a bit heavyweight but there
>> is now an official Lua plugin (the Koneki project).
>>
>> Still married to SciTE, however, which is considered lightweight (in
>> the intellectual sense) in some corners, but hey, whatever your
>> fingers are most comfortable with!  In the absence of man pages for
>> many Lua projects, I use 'ldoc -m' in the terminal. (E.g. 'ldoc -m
>> pl.utils' will remind me of what functions I've defined, and 'ldoc -m
>> pl.utils.split' will drill down further)
>>
>> The most fun lightweight (in code sense) Lua editor I know is Hisham's
>> dit.  (vi hurts my hands, emacs hurts my head, and nano is braindead;
>> dit is perfect in that role; I slap it onto every Raspberry Pi I
>> prepare)  However, he is a very modest man ;)
>>
>> steve d.

No doubt about the Lua options. I'm a big fan of ZeroBrane Studio and
use it all of the time.

When you're developing against Microsoft SDKs, nothing beats
VisualStudio's debugger. Debugging Lua, when it's making multiple
passes over the C boarder, is a complicated endeavour. So, for us and
I suppose for many game developers working with DirectX, it would be a
nice addition to the Lua world.