On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM, Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@trms.com> wrote:
> I know that there are some tools, but this looks more deeper.

It can be done, but it's hard. Fortunately, an 80% solution to an
otherwise generally-impossible problem is acceptable in an IDE.

I think Paul K's ZeroBrane Studio is the closest we have - and it's
pure Lua dogfood. Another pure Lua solution that's coming along very
nicely (if you prefer a more minimal interface) is Mitchell's
Textadept (which also has a Curses version).

Personally I find Eclipse-based solutions a bit heavyweight but there
is now an official Lua plugin (the Koneki project).

Still married to SciTE, however, which is considered lightweight (in
the intellectual sense) in some corners, but hey, whatever your
fingers are most comfortable with!  In the absence of man pages for
many Lua projects, I use 'ldoc -m' in the terminal. (E.g. 'ldoc -m
pl.utils' will remind me of what functions I've defined, and 'ldoc -m
pl.utils.split' will drill down further)

The most fun lightweight (in code sense) Lua editor I know is Hisham's
dit.  (vi hurts my hands, emacs hurts my head, and nano is braindead;
dit is perfect in that role; I slap it onto every Raspberry Pi I
prepare)  However, he is a very modest man ;)

steve d.