Steve,

Thanks for the welcome, and while I had previously searched for annotated source
I did not really find anything significant, which is why I threw it out there
when the subject of the annotated manual came up.

The link you provided does lead to some annotations on the Lua 5.1 code base,
however, the official site is just showing the standard source without any
extra annotations apart from the source comments... unless I am missing something?

If I had the time I would work on something, but right now I am busy writing a
game engine for the learning experience and maybe one to make an actual game! ;)

~pmd~