On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
>   -spc (Facing this very issue on my home system, which is running a
>         Linux distribution so old [1] that it's no longer supported.)

Yes, my beloved Lucid Lynx box is now EOL'd.  But Mint is offering
good alternatives - curious how the 'lightweight' desktop managers are
having a revival. It appears to be hard to avoid overengineering
something that works until it goes into its own event horizon like a
large star at the end of its sequence.[1]  Lua is a rare engineering
effort in this world!

The rapid pace of Linux change makes some obvious answers to Lua
distribution harder than they should be, e.g. providing deb packages.
It's not difficult if the extension you need is already in Debian, and
so something like ldeb works very well for packaging Lua applications
which just have those dependencies,  But binary extensions are more
tricky.

steve d.

[1] that will be the last astrophysics reference today, I promise