On Friday, October 4, 2013, Andre Arpin wrote:
Andrew Starks <andrew.starks <at> trms.com> writes:

> "C:/lua/5.2/?.lua;C:/lua/?/init.lua"
>
> Pick whichever path seems most simple to you and copy the "pl" directory
into that. Using my example, you should have a path like:

> "C:/lua/5.2/pl"
>
> As I said, however, LuaDist may be a simpler way to start with Lua, as it
simplifies this process and will properly install the documentation, as well.
Also, other libraries that need installation are more involved than Penlight.

> Let me know if I can help further!
>
> -Andrew

This is the answer 'C:/lua/?/init.lua' it is convoluted.
I think this should be documented clearly instead of being left to the reader.
It is a trick, clever maybe, but still just a trick.

Thanks for your help.

Andre

It looks tricky, but it is a somewhat standard pattern amongst languages, other than Lua. Also, it is well documented, but perhaps finding if was a bit difficult? Here are some links:

The reference guide, which is a dry explanation of the language. Think of it as helpful, mostly for if you know your way around Lua. It is much like a specification, but again, it's helpful. :)

 http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/

The package library and the explanation on searchers is in section 6.3.

Next up, Programming in Lua, 3rd Edition, is the finest resource on Lua. It is a must have, if you plan on learning it completely. It's also a favorite of mine, in terms of being truly an enjoyable book to learn from:

http://store.feistyduck.com/products/programming-in-lua

As it so happens, Fabio Mascarenhas, who is an experienced contributor to this list, published his lecture materials from a course that he taught:

http://www.lua.org/start.html#learning

There are more links that others might recommend.

Please let us know if there is something in particular that you are looking for. Due to the unusually wide variety of ways in which Lua is used, some information on the language might seem a bit scattered.

Thanks!

-Andrew