On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 12:11:34 -0400
> Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
>>   While I think OO is overused (personal preference), if you are
>
> I agree with [Sean] on this, and wonder how many others do too.

With no pejorative intended: You sound like you've been burned by
overengineered systems.

Don't let Java give you a bad impression of OO. I agree with your
analysis of the things that are wrong with using too much OO, but
don't throw the baby out with the bathwater -- I find that it's
actually rather difficult to have too much OO, and I marvel that Java
and other languages manage to accomplish it anyway. Perhaps I just
have a well-tuned sense for how to avoid overengineering, and perhaps
I'm spoiled by duck-typed languages (Lua, Python, C++ -- yes, C++ is
beautifully duck-typed, contrary to how many people want to use it),
and you're right that first-class functions make a big difference
(same list of languages!), but I don't see any reason to disparage OO
because of a few poorly-designed (yet somehow popular) systems.

/s/ Adam