Yes I agree, it probably is unrelated. But doesn't hurt to try...

> I would bet on a misbehaving C library forgetting to do
> lua_checkstack and causing memory corruption in the heap.

Yes, I also suspect that Lua-EV is the culprit here.

> Running the failing test under valgrind should be instructive, but I see
> someone closed the original issue, does that mean the cause was found?

No it hasn't. A workaround was pulled in that no longer uses coxpcall with Lua-EV, which resolves the problem at hand, but not its root cause.
I have never use valgrind nor Lua-EV myself, but maybe Gerhard could give it a try?

Thijs