On Wed, 15 May 2013 13:01:12 +0100
Finn Wilcox <finnw@finnw.me.uk> wrote:

> But the point I was trying to make was that it is pretty much useless,
> other than causing inconvenience (and for the target audience of a
> programming book, that inconvenience is quite small.)

You might want to reconsider the "quite small inconvenience" assertion.
OK, I could paste it into a little GUI that transliterates the
characters. But:

1) That's an extra 10 seconds EVERY TIME I want to test out the book's
   code.
2) It appears that your conversion removed all indentation.

<shout>The obfuscation of copied and pasted code has no business in a
programming PDF eBook!!!</shout>

I really think they should recompile the PDF so that code is copyable
intelligently, complete with indentation, and then offer the revised
PDF free of charge to people who have bought the book. I bought this
book specifically so I could copy, paste, try, and mess with the book's
code. The ability to copy and paste is why I buy PDFs instead of print
programming books.

Thanks,

SteveT