I'd be hard-pressed to think of a scripting language more portable than Rexx in terms of having code Just Work across platforms.  That said Lua is the better language and it's on most popular platforms and easily ported to less popular ones.  You will get different behaviour across platforms, however.

On 30 April 2013 20:16, Rob Kendrick <rjek@rjek.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:01:56PM +1200, Paul Baker wrote:
> These facts combine to mean that, quite possibly, Lua is the most
> portable language in existence. Do people agree with this statement?
> If not, which other languages approach Lua in terms of portability?

It can't be more portable than the language it's implemented in.
Additionally, there are places you can use C where using Lua would be
very difficult, such as memory-starved microcontrollers or anything
requiring real-time.

Also, I'm not sure how well Lua reacts when char is not 8 bits.

B.

--
"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people. It's not been about our revenue or profit or whatnot."