On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:28:04 +0200
Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/4/28 Kevin Martin <kev82@khn.org.uk>:
>
> > Greg Lewin's email is coming through in both plain text and HTML.
> > I'm guessing your email client is defaulting to displaying the HTML?
> >
> > Sometimes it can be very difficult to force your mail program to
> > send plaintext only emails as everything nowadays is supposed to be
> > all singing/dancing and pretty. I have accidentally sent HTML
> > emails quite a few times.
>
> GMail's new reply format makes it quite tricky to avoid top-posting
> and to stick to plain text. Is there a way of influencing them so that
> at least an individual user can record preferences for those two?

I use the Claws-Mail email client (http://www.claws-mail.org/), using
POP to grab my Gmail email, and hold it locally. But I could also
access it with IMAP and keep it on the server.

Claws-Mail is agnostic about top or bottom posting, and it is
incapable of writing HTML email.

Mozilla Thunderbird (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/)is an
email client that essentially duplicates the features of Claws Mail,
except that it can (but doesn't have to) create HTML email.

Both Claws-Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird are available on both Windows
and Linux (and I would assume Mac).

Until you persuade Gmail to change their Webmail application, you could
always use a local email client.

HTH,

SteveT