There's no need to rely on a commercial service, with all the privacy concerns and control issues that come along with it, to be able to do exactly what this mailing list does, and does very well.

That's  not what I was saying. I think Stackoverflow is a valuable addition to the Lua mailing list. I was saying I didn't see any need for a separate Stackexchange site for Lua questions only.

Stackoverflow does not do "exactly what this mailing list does".

Paul