As an extra sudgestion.

Motivation is key on this process. I am teaching my 2 9yo nieces how to program in Lua, and I use
minecraft with Computer Craft mod[1] just by teaching then 5 minutes of lua they could make 2 robots
escavate holes on the ground and take resources. That keeps them very motivated, we did small network to
send messages in game, mining robots, even farming.

Another great thing is that i can teach them remotely just by having a minecraft server and a voice
server like Mumble[2], and still being able to enjoy the game. Its makes programing a very enjoyable
experience (even for me)

[1] http://www.computercraft.info/
[2] http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

--