Thanks to all for the many suggestions. I'm particularly grateful for
Dirk's suggestion to stick with a language I understand myself so that
I can mentor.

At the same time, my experience in working with kids is that the real
trick is helping them learn how to learn. A "let's figure this out
together" approach is often useful to assist a child in learning how
to solve problems.

Of course the interest has to be there to get anywhere. It's not
unlikely that programming is not something that interests Hunter at
this point in her life. So perhaps her computer will find other uses
until such time as she is ready to take that leap.

Time will tell.

Thanks again,

Paul