On 25 March 2013 15:23, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:42:18 -0300
> Hisham <h@hisham.hm> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm happy to announce we just reached 250 entries in the LuaRocks
>> repository (that's 250 different things for which you can run
>> 'luarocks install thing').
>
> Thanks Hisham,
>
> Let me ask you this: Is there a unified place to get documentation on
> all of them, including a keyword search?

No. Unfortunately there is no unified documentation policies for Lua.
It would be cool if there were, and there's often discussions about
it, but it's not up to me to make everyone follow the same doc rules
(or even make them document their code! many modules have no
documentation at all).

> Let me ask you something: Does your luarocks repository database
> currently list each rock's keywords, short description, and link to its
> documentation?

No links to documentation, but we do have short descriptions:
http://luarocks.org/repositories/rocks/

> If so, perhaps I could write luarocks.inquire, modeled
> after luarocks.search, to accept keywords, and show the necessary
> name, short description, and link to complete documentation.

Yeah, it would be somewhat straightforward to make a documentation
search engine if all documentation was unified. Unfortunately it
isn't, but there's always hope for the future. LuaDoc and its
successor LDoc have been gaining momentum.

-- Hisham
http://hisham.hm/